![]() |
| Cooper's first [undocumented by photos] swim in the Atlantic happened here. |
![]() |
| View from our running trail. |
It's beautiful. A much different kind of beautiful than California, but beautiful none-the-less. We lived in Charleston, SC for several years, so I expected the water to look a lot like the Atlantic did on the South Carolina coast. It doesn't. It has Monterey Bay's clarity, but you can actually swim in it! :) Our little "cottage" is nestled in the center of a small peninsula, so that a few blocks one direction brings us to a marshy area filled with egrets and ospreys, perfect for kayaking and playing with our new toy - a lovely standup paddleboard - and a few blocks the other direction leads to a white-sanded beach with views of fleets of sailboats on windy days. These late August and early September days have already cooled off in the evenings, and a few of the trees have leaves that are starting to turn shades of deep rust and brick, hinting at the splendor of a New England fall that is soon to come!
However, despite our surroundings being stunning, and us overall having a very enjoyable time, the first few weeks of August were a lesson in transitions. We've already had several transitions over the years, and have a few more on the list between now and our "settling" in Hawaii in <10 months, but particularly if we plan to stay in this military life, it will be a continuous challenge for me to become better at them.
Let me be clear and say, first, that I really want to enjoy, or at least appreciate, transitions. They almost by definition bring adventure, and I genuinely believe they are perfect ways to allow God to smooth out the rough edges we have. A wise friend of mine told me in college that he chose to have roommates, though he could afford and may even prefer to live alone, because he knew it would work on those rough edges of his. Having adventures, adjusting to changes, experiencing new things, and pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones challenges me to identify the areas of my personality and character that need work.
I assumed that when we arrived in Connecticut, I would be so relieved that we finally had a physical "home", a community, a place that we could build a routine, etc. that I honestly didn't spend much time preparing mentally. I didn't even really consider the Connecticut re-locating to be a transition because, in comparison to the month-long trip where we were in a different location almost daily, it didn't seem like it would be difficult. Well, that was a mistake. The first few weeks here were the most difficult for me in this past few years of transitions (moving from SC to CA, leaving my job, starting grad school, graduating grad school, living summers away from Daniel, becoming pregnant, having a baby, graduating, moving, cross-country trip, and now here)! In retrospect, a two-week adjustment and short dramatic showing of an emotional breakdown, starring me (that included a solo of tears; a short monologue of pitiful, weepy words; and a crawling-into-bed-at-8pm-because-I-don't-want-to-do-anything-else performance) wasn't too bad in the big scheme of things, but I'd rather handle it much more smoothly. It definitely was not an Emmy-worthy performance. ;)
So, with that... here is my short list of how to better handle transitions. Mostly it's just a way I can write out my goals and re-visit them as a reminder to myself in the future, but we all go through transitions in life; good and bad, so perhaps these will give you a boost and allow you to roll through one more smoothly in the future.
1) Prepare. I do best when I prepare both physically and emotionally.
Physically: Having the logistics in place well ahead of time and being organized allows me to focus on the fun stuff and ENJOY the adventure. (Yes, this is your daughter speaking, mom & dad, I've just grown up a bit these past years!) I'm still a fan of spontaneity and random indulgences in free-spiritedness, but I've realized things go much more smoothly when the foundation is solid.Emotionally: I need to spend a lot of time in prayer, thinking positive thoughts, daydreaming and envisioning the next step and positive things that will come with it. This is where I try to hold my thoughts captive and toss out the negative ones, not allowing them to linger in my mind. This is also where my all-time favorite verse comes into play:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7
So many good parts to this verse that have worked in my life in so many different ways. There's the "do not be anxious" part, the prayer with thanksgiving part, the peace that doesn't make logical sense part, the guarded heart when it's a scary, sad, or bad transition part... so much in just two sentences.




Thanks for being honest, friend!! I have a love/discomfort-relationship with the "with thanksgiving" part of Phil 4:6-7. Another one that we keep going back to is 1 Thess 5:16-18 "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances..." yowzers. That's not always the easiest when we're being asked to be so flexible in life with our sweet hubby's professions. And you've had SO MANY transitions this year. I'd say you've rocked them pretty well, even with a 2-week-momentary-pity-party. Thankfully you've surrounded yourself with the people to get you out of it. Thanks for showing the rest of us that you are human too :) I'll be praying for all that is to unavoidably continue to come with this part of life. It's a good thing you have a super-cute baby and loving hubby to make it all worth it. PLUS, God's got it!! And you're awesome. HUGS!!! - Diana
ReplyDeleteI love this for so many reasons. I love seeing how you have become such a wise wife and mama. I am thankful for the encouraging words that you wrote. I definitely needed to hear some of that right now. And most of all, I am so thankful for the person you are. You have so many people that love you. Thank you for your own transparency and for your continued encouragement. What a blessing your life is to so many people. I feel like the older I get, the more I realize just how important community is - whether that community is in the same town or on the complete other side of the country :)Love your posts!
ReplyDeleteThanks, girls! You are two super inspirational women yourselves!
ReplyDelete