Overall, I've had an amazing pregnancy. I'm between 29 and 30 weeks now (~7 months) and I've been able to do pretty much everything I've always done, including working out. I don't like running more than ~2 miles at a time - just because I don't think it's all that fun anymore, not because I think there's anything wrong with it - but I still lift weights, just using a lot less weight. Mostly, I do this: www.crossfitmom.com.
However, there are still some very real physical and hormonal changes during pregnancy, and one that has hit me hard is acid reflux! And, since I have now tried almost every antacid/natural herbal remedy for the relief of acid... let's talk.
Last semester, after loudly dropping my Tums bottle on the floor and making quite a scene, my Lebanese Arabic teacher told me acid/heartburn meant the baby was growing hair and that I should eat almonds. At the time I was completely confused and most likely thought she was telling me to eat hair or something like that (she was speaking in Arabic), but apparently this is an old wives' tale around the world. First of all, let's clarify that I trust science and therefore don't believe in old wives' tales, but if it is true, then I must be growing this:
So, after trying to live with it / downing ~5 economy size Tums containers (I keep one in each car, my purse, my school bag, and in the kitchen), I tried to find an "herbal" or "natural" remedy and googled my little heart out. I read several helpful blogs about what helped different people, so I figured I'd offer my 2 cents in return. Here's my take on a few of the most common:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Uhh... besides being utterly disgusting to down (even mixed with water like some of the "natural" blogs recommend), completely and totally ineffective. Thumbs waaay down.
- Not drinking water for a while after eating: Actually sort of helpful! I usually drink several glasses of water while I eat, but this helped a bit. Sideways thumb.
- Papaya Extract: Tastes delicious, but unfortunately doesn't do much. Also, it's hard to find and kind of expensive. It claims to help with digestion, so maybe it's better for that? Thumbs down.
- Milk: Short relief, but that's about it. However, if you make it vanilla flavored almond milk, the deliciousness of it is distracting enough to provide some comfort. Sideways thumb.
- Mustard: Bleh. Despite being a picky eater growing up (sorry, Mom and Dad), there are now only a few foods I find utterly repulsive - and mustard is one of them. The fact that I stooped to this level gives you a hint as to the level of discomfort I was in. Anyways, it did nothing but confirm that it belongs on my short "I hate you" food list. Thumbs down.
- Aloe Vera Juice: This is the last one I've heard of, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Still on the lookout...
**Update: Found it and it does offer relief! However, the only Aloe Vera Juice I can find has chunks of gel in it and totally makes me feel like I am drinking what I should be rubbing on my sunburn... creepy, but worth the acid relief!
**More updates: My husband found me this gem (Garden of Life Acid Defense) and it's extremely effective if you take it before you feel the acid. If you're already tasting it, it doesn't work so well. Totally worth the $20 though in prevention!
So, overall - I'll stick to my economy-size Tums (Berry flavored are my personal fav) and Gaviscon - liquid form.
And there you have it! A whole article about acid! If you made it through: 1) you love me, or 2) I'm really sorry - acid reflux sucks. :(

Oh my dear how I know of acid reflux! Never before being pregnant. But the babies made it happen. I seriously felt like a 70-year-old man complaining about it. And somehow Tums gagged me and weren't of any help at all. And I didn't even bother going through all the other things you tried. I was just miserable. I did have the doc explain to me WHY it happened...the whole softening and expanding of tissues and muscles. Somehow knowing what was going on made me a little saner. I slept propped up at night because of it. Oh how the nights were bad. I was convinced that between that keeping me up, and peeing 50 times a night, my body was just preparing me for AFTER I had the baby when I wouldn't be getting any sleep either. Boo. Oh, and the doc and the sites i read told me that chocolate was probably not the best thing to be eating if I wanted the relux to subside. Yah right....don't take chocolate away from me while I'm preggo. I've got enough going on. But I thoroughly enjoyed your lamenting article about your acid...it's one of the bonds of pregnancy. Hope you're feeling better soon friend (altho mine got worse further along...sorry). And at least he's worth it. That I can promise :) XO - Di
ReplyDelete